home | forms | site map | contact

Claverack History

 

Gallery of Historic Sites

 

Captain Ellis' Writings

 

Historic Figures

 

Claverack Seal


The Name "Claverack"

According to one version, the name "Claverack" is a Dutch term, signifying a clover reach or field and, according to one tradition, was applied by Henry Hudson during his voyage up river in 1609 when the explorer noted vast fields of white clover covering the landscape. Yet by another account, the real origin of the name is unknown. . . more>>

Claverack's Founding & Development

Claverack, like other local farm communities, was connected to a Hudson River landing by a primitive wagon road. Eventually, this roadway extended to eastern Massachusetts and Connecticut establishing an east-west route of travel on land and continues to be important to this day. In 1783 a significant turning point occurred in the economic history of the area when a group of New Bedford and Nantucket merchants purchased Claverack Landing. . . more>>